Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hello World

My name is Lauren and I have a confession to make.

I am a serial texter.

Thinking back, it is difficult and bizarre to remember a time when texting was not around. Just what did I do before? It sounds frightening to say, but I don't know if I could have a relationship with someone that didn't text- or didn't have unlimited texts at that!

I was walking to work the other day with some colleagues who were joking about how they text each other to charge each other money (granted the recipient opens it).

I thought...

People still pay-per-text? I have become that person that assumes that others text as often as I do. Am I alone in my texting world?

New media continues to enter our world in new ways every day it seems. Are there people that are resisting it?

Ludites?

I understand that for older people this new technology may be too much of a whirlwind for them. For those older generations that were around when color tv was invented, let's not assume they are hopping on the technology train... but as for younger people?

Am I foolish to assume that the youth all are adapting and bringing these new forms of media into their lives?

Perhaps.

Back to my confession...

With my serial texting behavior- am I dehumanizing my life? This is a fear I have in my world. Am I hearing voices less, talking less, and only improving my shorthand communication in type?

That is not who I am! As someone who "connects" with others, have I drifted and untied the ties to a real connecting world- the world full of interpersonal relationships and experiences that can't be communicated through T9?

If so, S.O.S.!!!

Maybe the world that still pays-per-text knows something that I don't. Maybe they know how to say NO to a world troubled by impersonal communication.

I need to think about this.

I will text you later with what I find.

3 comments:

Heidi M said...

Your comment about people not having unlimited texting is like people who are still on dial-up Internet. It's amazing how many people tell me (proudly!) that they are still on dial-up as if it makes them seem like they are standing their ground and not bending to "peer pressure."

Located... said...

If standing their ground means tying up their phone line and wasting time on account of slow loading- then they are true revolutionaries.

(or glorified laggards)

Located... said...

http://blog.oup.com/2008/03/text_message/