Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Yawn, I am exhausted with Facebook

I am sick and tired of hearing about/ talking about/ applauding Facebook.

One day in college, I begrudgingly signed up for an account. I was a puppet to my friends who all swore by it and they basically moved my fingers about the keyboard signing me up- for what would change my life forever- in what way- TBD.

I will admit, like the first time trying a drug- I was nervous...nervous about my safety, my health, my world being affected by this big monster that was Facebook. It was unchartered territory and it was also known as the gateway drug to Myspace- the heroin of the social networking world.

With a .edu email address, a few "favorite movies" and a pic- I was a Facebooker- whether I liked it or not.

Deep breaths.

I will admit, it felt good at first, I was receiving and making friend requests, left and right. I was feeling pretty good shopping my friends' lists (the peer pressurers) and finding that I too knew all these people. You get some superficial feeling of popularity as your friends first fill up one page, then soon after are filling up 10. Wow. Then you can select and display your top friends and put them out there for the whole world to see!

TOP FRIENDS-This was a lot of power.

This was also a lot of power that sounded more appetizing than homework.

Procrastination took on a new form over campuses nationwide- without a doubt. Peering in dormrooms, that signature blue box could be seen on many a computer screens.

Everyone seemed to be succumbing to the drug that was Facebook.

S0 here I am now, six years later.

I have been through my "Facebook" time. I had my fill and am full, and exhausted of it. I saw it break up relationships, I saw it form them. I think I even saw it cure cancer one day, but then I think the next, it caused it.

At the media firm where I work, we recommend Facebook accounts to some of our clients, like schools and institutions- with whom we are strategic partners. As a recovering Facebooker, I place my tongue in my cheek and force out the recommendation- because I honestly shudder when I think I am spreading the word of the devil.

So why is my account still active, live and public?

Good question.

It does, GASP, keep me in touch with a few certain people, (people I don't often text on a daily basis)... it is a great way to send and receive photos from friends as well.

Now an also latent member of Myspace, my profiles are often filled up with dumb "club opening" bulletins and nonsense. When I do log in- (once in a blue moon if not less frequently) I am reminded every time that these sites are a thing of my past- and I am reminded of how I wasted time even entering my password.

I am soon to say Goodbye Facebook, ciao per sempre.

I don't think I will miss it, as I am now LinkedIn.

No comments: